Dear Student –
After consulting with the Student Health Service, it has been determined that you will need to quarantine related to exposure to someone with COVID-19.
Quarantine is used to keep someone who might have been exposed to COVID-19 away from others. Quarantine helps prevent the spread of disease that can occur before a person knows they are sick or if they are infected with the virus without feeling symptoms. The goal of quarantine is to put as much distance between you and others. In consultation with our infectious disease and public health experts, the University has determined the length of quarantine-in-place will be 14 days from the date of last exposure to a COVID-positive person. You will receive additional details on post-exposure testing and your release date as your quarantine progresses.
As you prepare for your time in quarantine, please be sure to review these key expectations and the resources available at rlh.wfu.edu/quarantine/.
Students wishing to decline University quarantine may review the requirements for declination on Our Way Forward and submit a declination request at go.wfu.edu/sp21declination. Please note that until this request is approved in writing, students should not leave the campus area. Failure to follow this process and/or the expectations outlined may result in a referral to the University’s Student Conduct process.
Quarantine In Place
You will complete your quarantine in your Reynolda Campus residence hall room.
As you remain in place remember that:
- Quarantine requires that you are not in direct contact (within 6 feet) with any individuals unless meeting with medical or health care providers, or to exit the building for emergency evacuation.
- You may not socialize with others in your living unit during your quarantine period. Doing so may not only put them at risk but may extend your quarantine.
- You may not have visitors in your living unit during your time of quarantine.
- Quarantine is expected to be an environment free of alcohol and other drugs. Violations of this expectation may be referred to the Office of the Dean of Students.
- Refer to the list of “do’s and don’ts” from Student Health Service (including symptom monitoring, hand washing, surfacing cleaning, etc.): Do’s and Don’ts of Quarantine
- You may only leave your room to use the restroom or for a life-threatening emergency.
- If you share a restroom, you should use it briefly and immediately return to your room. You should wear a mask and wash your hands (or use hand sanitizer) before leaving your room. Limit the time you spend in the restroom as much as possible and maintain 6 feet of distance from others at all times. If brushing your teeth, make sure you are at least 6 feet away from others.
Meals while in Quarantine
Meals will be delivered to your residence hall. You should not leave your room to get food at University dining locations.
All students are expected to complete a Meal Delivery Preference Form, even if they wish to decline meals.
- For assistance in placing your meal request or for questions related to meals please call 336-758-5607
- Meals are provided to you three times a day 8-9 AM, 12-1 PM, and 5-6 PM unless otherwise requested or declined in your Meal Delivery Preference Form.
- All meals delivered by Harvest Table will be deducted from your meal plan balance or charged to your student account at the rate of $10.16 per meal if you do not have a meal plan.
- You also have the option to use grocery delivery available here (review the Grubhub Grocery Delivery tab towards the bottom)
- Given your quarantine status, you may NOT utilize services such as DoorDash, GrubHub, etc. that would require you to leave your living unit to pick-up food from a driver.
- While in quarantine, please be sure to review these details including what to do in the event of a fire alarm.
- Place your trash in a sealed bag outside of your room. Trash pick up is available outside your door by 10 AM and 2 PM. Anything outside your room door will be collected and disposed of at these times.
- Wake Wash (laundry) is available free of charge. Pick up is Tuesday and drop off is Thursday. Please place the provided laundry bag outside your room door by 12 pm on Tuesdays for pick up.
- There are a variety of wellbeing support services available to you during your time in quarantine. Please be sure to review those and opt in as you desire.
- We want you (and your parents/families) to know that this requirement to quarantine has been made by medical professionals who are versed in the public health guidance related to COVID-19. Should your parent or guardian want to speak with a member of the University for support or more information about your care, they can contact Adam Goldstein, Dean of Students, at email@example.com. For additional information please visit Our Way Forward.
Staff from across the University may check in with you via email and/or (video) phone as well, please be sure to answer any phone calls from a 336-758-XXXX number.
We know that was a lot of information, so feel free to contact us via phone or email to clarify any concerns. We know this isn’t the most ideal situation, but we are committed to making the best of your quarantine in the residence hall. Be sure to review any emails you may receive from us and engage with our community emails you may receive throughout your time in quarantine.
For further information or assistance, please contact our office at 336-758-5185 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office of Residence Life and Housing